Friday, November 14, 2014

My Lao Kitchen: Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice

I hope everyone is enjoying the lovely fall weather. Though it has cooled off considerably since I first arrived in Luang Prabang; I still won't be pulling out my boots, cardigans, and scarves anytime soon (Ignore the fact that I didn't even bother to pack any boots, cardigans, or scarves) Along with missing out on the cool crisp weather of the season I am also missing all my other favorite fall things, like pumpkin flavored everything (stereotypical I know) and Thanksgiving with my family. So what's a girl to do when there are no signs of autumn anywhere to be found, well she's gotta create a little fall magic of your own. So that is what I did.

To my roommates and I happy surprise, pumpkins started popping up in the markets, and after spotting a recipe for pumpkin bread on one of my favorite blogs Rhyme and Ribbons I had found how I was going to bring a little fall to Laos.

Rhyme & Ribbons Blog

So I went out and picked up a couple of pumpkins and got to work. I shoveled out all the slimy insides and put the pumpkin seeds aside for roasting. I cut the pumpkin up into chunks and put them in the oven to bake. After about 40 minutes the pumpkin slices were ready to be pureed, so I pulled out my blender, tossed the pumpkin in, and pressed puree. Nothing. Just a whirling sound while my pumpkin slices sat there untouched. I tried again, but still nothing. I dumped out the pumpkin and decided to take the old fashioned approach. With a fork and my hands I smashed the pumpkin until the texture was smooth and creamy (who needs a blender).




Now that my pumpkin was ready it was time to find the other ingredients. Fortunately finding the other ingredients didn't cause me to much grief except for the nutmeg. I could only find ridiculously large containers of nutmeg that were way outside of my budget; so I substituted Allspice. (which worked just fine). I changed a few other small things as well. I didn't have a bread pan so I made pumpkin muffins instead and lowered the cooking time to about 30 minutes. I also left out the chocolate chips and halved the recipe. 

Here is my slightly altered recipe: 
(You can find the original recipe here: Rhyme and Ribbons' Pumpkin Bread)

Ingredients: 
Makes about 10 medium sized muffins

1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of oil (I used coconut oil)
1 egg
1/2 cup of pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of allspice
1 cup of flour
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of milk

In a bowl mix the sugars, the oil, and the egg until smooth.


Next add in the pumpkin and mix again. 

In another bowl, whisk the baking soda, cinnamon, salt, allspice, and flour. 


Now here is where I forgot to read directions and just poured all the milk straight in without alternating between the pumpkin mix. But honestly with so little milk I don't think it mattered, and the muffins still turned out just fine. If you want to be correct, alternate between blending in the milk and the pumpkin mix in with the other ingredients. Or you can be like me and just pour in all the milk, and then add the pumpkin mix a little at a time. 

Once the batter is ready pour into a muffin tin and bake at 350 F (or approx. 180 C) for 30 minutes. 


The muffins were so delicious and tasted like fall (if fall had a taste that is). You can bet that these muffins didn't last long. Thankfully my pumpkin puree did and my roommate and I were able to make lots of other pumpkin treats like these pumpkin cookies (also from Rhyme and Ribbons), pumpkin spice oatmeal, and pumpkin pancakes. 


2 comments:

Amanda said...

Awesome! They look great! x

Dani said...

Thanks Amanda! & thanks for the recipe!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...